Wednesday, September 29, 2010

T[onga] minus 6 days

There isn't actually time to do a blog entry right now, but I guess that's always going to be the case. Most importantly: I went from not even processing what was about to happen to being pretty darn excited about it. When you get the news that the US gov wants to send you to another country... and you are already off traveling in exotic lands, I guess its easy to move those feelings to the back burner. Now that I'm back in NY, shoveling all I can into this last little week, my excitement is flaring up. Everyday I get another email from someone offering more advice and information. It's good that the Peace Corps hasn't tried to give me all the information. I'm not sure if they intentionally withhold some or simply don't know it (a mix seems likely), either way it'd just be too much to handle to get it all at once.

I got a call from some PC office a couple days ago telling me they haven't received my passport yet and questioning me why I hadn't applied for it. The woman sounded slightly peeved with me. When I explained that I was holding the passport in my very own two hands, that didn't seemed to alleviate her... frustration. Apparently, when I applied for it at the Tel Aviv US consulate, something went wrong and it was returned to me, which isn't supposed to happen, which I didn't know, and I guess the consulate didn't know, and I guess no one at Peace Corps was alerted to, and ultimately there wasn't really anytime left to do anything about. I hung up the phone, quietly chuckling, relieved that I hadn't blurted out laughing while the perturbed woman was still on the line. I mean, I much to busy to be worrying about silly things like that. It was a humorous way to start my day; I hoped the caller's day would improve.

No comments:

Post a Comment